Skip to main content

25 Random Things About Me

Figured this was good enough to do a reverse data port, as the 97805-1280 Faithful deserve some crumbs from the Facebook party I'm in:

1 - I always wanted to be a professional baseball player, and if drafted, would have refused to play for any team but the Mets (I thought I was that good).

2 - I am a registered non-partisan, because I am a fiscal conservative and social liberal -- and I fear the liberal media as much as the vast, right-wing conspiracy.

3 - I miss every city I've ever lived in -- dearly -- and I miss living by the sea.

4 - I often wonder whether I have a "home".

5 - I am a charter member of the Hypernostalgia Society www.hypernostalgiaclub.com (member number 56).

6 - I could have tried a little harder in my first marriage; but I'm pretty sure it still would have ended in divorce.

7 - I occasionally miss my (former) stepdaughter (from a previous marriage) and hope she is doing well.

8 - I often dwell on the shoulda/coulda/woulda in just about every one of my life's experiences.

9 - I have climbed a billboard seated higher than 40 feet in two U.S. cities.

10 - I feel well-compensated, but underrated at work.

11 - Every ASPCA commercial featuring Sarah McLachlan has reduced me to tears.

12 - #11 started in that scene of "Toy Story 2" when Jesse's flashback montage featured Sarah McLachlan's "When She Loved Me".

13 - I really was a brat to my paternal grandmother.

14 - I had scary dreams about my maternal great-grandmother (both of them).

15 - I am thankful that my brother has lived less than a mile away from me for most of my life.

16 - I am generally envious of, although motivated by, my friends' successes.

17 - I refuse to see The "Blair Witch Trials" and "The Exorcist".

18 - I still don't know what was so gay about "Moulin Rouge!"; it was a good movie.

19 - I still think that my first time in a hot air balloon will resemble the final scene in "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

20 - I am glad my mother is happy, even though my dad has passed away.

21 - I'm pretty sure my home life is not complete without a dog.

22 - I believe that New York sports, and New York City as a whole, would have been better off if the Mets had never, ever traded away Tom Seaver. (Case in point, the '77 blackout.)

23 - I wish I had appreciated the years my family spent traveling in the Winnebago, because now I hope my son appreciates the time we're spending in Juleus, the VW Campmobile.

24 - I believe our country is going to get through this economic downturn without the projected level of carnage.

25 - I fear going back to school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute
Da Hoov: 1993-2008

The day I got him, I was buying cat food for Pip, the (then) family cat, in the Burien (WA) days. In one of the pet store bins was a splitting image of the puppy version of the Thorndike-Barnhart Junior Dictionary entry illustration -- that I recalled from second grade -- for "Spaniel". I then remembered that I always wanted a Spaniel. He had no papers, but his markings were good enough to argue that he was far from the Heinz 57 variety (a point groomers over the years had galvanized). So I was curious as to the behind-the-scenes story. The shop owner said that little guy had been the pick of the litter to carry on the legacy for the previous owner, who initially chose to keep him along with the mother. But when the previous owner's new landlord allowed only one dog, s/he had to make a concession. The puppy drew the short straw. So with the benefit of a dog with no papers and good markings, and knowing what a pedigreed dog can fetch, I figured I wouldn't pay a cen

I left my inhibitions in San Francisco

[Left, i.e., disregarded, neglected] Seems, as with the incomparable Tony Bennett, my eternal fling with San Francisco remains strong. This time, it was ringing in the New Year with Cake at The Warfield Theater with my bro (the wife declined due to scheduling conflicts), BFAM and his wife. Again, one for the books. Now, many have either seen/heard first- or second-hand my past SF experiences dating back to 1988, each filled with some level of joy and/or wonder. It was looking pretty iffy at this concert experience in that it didn't echo that of Sia concert at Bimbo's in April '06 when Sia herself gave me (and only me) a big hug outside her tour bus after the show, or the Les Claypool concert at The Fillmore where my date scored backstage passes in December '00. First off this time, Cake lead singer John McCrea lives in Oakland, so he probably took the BART, given his dervish tendencies. Secondly, he was nowhere to be seen; just the bassist with whom BFAM and wife

Good Mourning

In February 2014, legendary New York sportswriter Marty Noble wrote about the passing of legendary New York Mets announcer and Baseball Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner: "The radio and television programming was characterized by those speaking as 'a celebration,' and it was. I understand the concept; celebrate rather than mourn. But how difficult it was to see his passing as anything other than miserably sad...He had a good, long life. But I wanted it to be longer by 30 years, or at least by two months, so I could see him one more time and absorb one more anecdote..." And in February 2019, we can say the same for Flora DeBonis Pikul: sister, mother, godmother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, great-aunt, great-great-aunt, cousin, friend and so on. Now Marty Noble was talking about a sports figure, a celebrity. And you could argue that Grandma was a celebrity. She had a star quality. She had her 15 minutes of fame: a grand-prize winner on the "Concentration"