Skip to main content

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

I did a little light blog-keeping. "A little to the left..." as the nameplate didn't quite fit, despite the multiple connotations that reflect what I see, hear or live.

Plus, it was pretty much forcing me to make regular political commentary or something of the "L"-word flavor (which for me, in between presidential races, is more of a pleasure-filled reactionary thing to polar extremists who throw down the gauntlet at parties or related forums). But ever since Sept. '02, when me and the wife (to be) closed escrow on the primary residence at 1280, evenings and weekends prompted -- mostly during the commute home -- a checklist of:
  • Which home improvement project -- kitchen, bath, basement, landscape, general interior/exterior, yackety-schmackety -- am I working on (or need to research/get up to speed on);
  • Which rental property (mine more-so than the wife's) needs attention;
  • What upgrade/restoration task can I provide "Jul-e-us di Arancia" (my orange Westy); and finally,
  • Which unlisted or implied garden variety project/chore that scores points with the wife is being added to the list. Thankfully, there's the "Other" check-box at the bottom with my perpetual write in-option (when checked): "Oh, F---...just keep driving." (Suffice it to say, there was a lot of driving '05-'06.)
Likewise, since the birth of my beloved Nicolas (we prefer the southern European spelling) in Dec. '04, seeking out philosophical battles has been shelved in favor of developing his life's skill set. I'm currently choosing a path that gets him in the NY Mets bullpen as the league's premier left-handed closer by 2031. I mean, the money they make for the time they put in! Say 85 innings pitched (on a busy year) out of a possible 1,458 innings (162 games at 9 innings apiece), with a half of an 8th and/or 9th inning running maybe 4 minutes each, and being paid $10.5 million (the '07 salary for each premier Yankee and Met closer). All tallied, that's roughly $1.6 million per hour of work (6.4 hrs. @ $10.5 mil) per year. And that's not even adjusted for inflation -- considering Reggie Jackson's $3+ million 5-year contract was regarded as stratospheric back in '77. (BTW, that "Bronx is Burning" program on ESPN rocks, even though I'm a Met.)

If Nic (since his name has no "k", neither should his truncated handle) is graced as such, all I want the boy to do for my part is to pay my outstanding mortgages and credit card balances. Which, with Nic at age 27 (when his value as a free agent is at prime) , puts us at year 2031-- and at current levels and no future refis -- the wife's house as paid off (luck, pure luck), about $26K left on my rental, about $15K left on the primary home. I'll lobby for some earnest money to get a 3-car garage built so I can finally get shelter for my vehicle(s) at $15K. So on the high end, we're talking $56K. With his income earning potential , adjusted for 5% inflation, at $12.1 million, the $56K bone he throws me is a mere bag of shells.

I know, Schwab-sters, $56K is a pretty poor ROI for the time I spend rearing a baseball thoroughbred, but as they say, parenting is a noble cause. And such perks as the free tickets to see him play would up my quality of life index more than would a few hundred thousand more.

And maybe, by '31, I would have freed up some time to re-devote to needling the extremists on their twisted philosophies. If they're still out there. (Enlightenment is always possible.)

Long story short: for now, the real focus of this regular column (I really don't like the word "blog"; it's like calling my cousin Jennifer "Nifer") is on the homes and the 5w's of their ever-changing components or occupants. And with their respective addresses as 978, 805 and 1280, and with my penchant for wordplay and pop culture, we arrive at this column's nameplate.

Comments

Tracy S. said…
Mr. Blauth,

There REALLY IS MORE TO LIFE THAN MONEY! I hope you realize that. And I hope your son can grow up to do whatever it is that he damn well pleases.

Hi to Lisa -- hope you are all happy above and beyond anything else. Especially the all might dollar.

Love,
Tracy
john-e-be said…
Hmm...sounds a bit extremist don't you think? (And we now know my thoughts on that.)

Seriously, Ms. SCruz, I concur. It's just fun to speculate where he, the uncarved block, can take it from here. And I can bend. That's why I'll settle for a full-ride scolarship to Stanford (scholastic, athletic or artistic) in lieu of the 2022 Major League draft. And he can visit you on the weekends and just be him. (Worked for his dad.)

keep in touch

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute
Da Hoov: 1993-2008

The day I got him, I was buying cat food for Pip, the (then) family cat, in the Burien (WA) days. In one of the pet store bins was a splitting image of the puppy version of the Thorndike-Barnhart Junior Dictionary entry illustration -- that I recalled from second grade -- for "Spaniel". I then remembered that I always wanted a Spaniel. He had no papers, but his markings were good enough to argue that he was far from the Heinz 57 variety (a point groomers over the years had galvanized). So I was curious as to the behind-the-scenes story. The shop owner said that little guy had been the pick of the litter to carry on the legacy for the previous owner, who initially chose to keep him along with the mother. But when the previous owner's new landlord allowed only one dog, s/he had to make a concession. The puppy drew the short straw. So with the benefit of a dog with no papers and good markings, and knowing what a pedigreed dog can fetch, I figured I wouldn't pay a cen

I left my inhibitions in San Francisco

[Left, i.e., disregarded, neglected] Seems, as with the incomparable Tony Bennett, my eternal fling with San Francisco remains strong. This time, it was ringing in the New Year with Cake at The Warfield Theater with my bro (the wife declined due to scheduling conflicts), BFAM and his wife. Again, one for the books. Now, many have either seen/heard first- or second-hand my past SF experiences dating back to 1988, each filled with some level of joy and/or wonder. It was looking pretty iffy at this concert experience in that it didn't echo that of Sia concert at Bimbo's in April '06 when Sia herself gave me (and only me) a big hug outside her tour bus after the show, or the Les Claypool concert at The Fillmore where my date scored backstage passes in December '00. First off this time, Cake lead singer John McCrea lives in Oakland, so he probably took the BART, given his dervish tendencies. Secondly, he was nowhere to be seen; just the bassist with whom BFAM and wife

Good Mourning

In February 2014, legendary New York sportswriter Marty Noble wrote about the passing of legendary New York Mets announcer and Baseball Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner: "The radio and television programming was characterized by those speaking as 'a celebration,' and it was. I understand the concept; celebrate rather than mourn. But how difficult it was to see his passing as anything other than miserably sad...He had a good, long life. But I wanted it to be longer by 30 years, or at least by two months, so I could see him one more time and absorb one more anecdote..." And in February 2019, we can say the same for Flora DeBonis Pikul: sister, mother, godmother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, great-aunt, great-great-aunt, cousin, friend and so on. Now Marty Noble was talking about a sports figure, a celebrity. And you could argue that Grandma was a celebrity. She had a star quality. She had her 15 minutes of fame: a grand-prize winner on the "Concentration"