Skip to main content

The baseline

OK; I am officially tuned into the '00s. About time, I figure.
Now people can see where I am on mostly home improvement projects, and all the related F-bombs.

Marketers, steer clear. I'm not buying -- unless you have cool, rare parts for my '74 Westy. Namely the hard-to-find orange plaid fabric (not the oft-confused chrome yellow), preferably from the upper bunk. Also wish for a dashboard clock, stamped'73, '74 or '75. Can/will trade for mine, stamped '76. (It's black face is darker than the charcoal face on the speedo and fuel,etc gauge, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.) And you now know this, because your Web crawling app picked up on the Westy keyword. We'll talk.

Back to home improvement. Here's my latest headache, a backsplash in my kitchen. Here's a part of it.

That's 3,168 1-inch tiles for those of you counting. (OK; they're on 12-inch sheets, but still.) And the photo only shows half the job. The vertical/horizontal cuts were a boar, as the diamond blade is weary from the bathroom job. And the run from the eastern wall's corners to the outside corners of the window box did not go the full tile on one side (left) of the box. It's too soon to tell whether I can ignore it (post-grout) or let it fester like that of the occasional, unevenly-surfaced tile on the bathroom wall in some places.

Regardless, I have a lot of scraping (the white thin-set mortar in between tiles) ahead of me, as the wife wants a more neutral grout. Joy. Give me 2 weeks.

The bathroom still has a few finishing touches, including the staining of the box for the built-in, and the moulding job that follows (about 7 linear feet; cake). Once complete, I'll have before-and-after shots of that.

What remains on the short list are as follows:
  • Landscape lighting/garage rewire (for the transformer, a switch-driven outlet for holiday lights, and to right the wrongs made by the previous owner at times over the last 50 years);
  • Groundcover for the boy's jungle gym (grass is not enough);
  • The Uba Tuba granite bartop and countertop in basement. (That is on perpetual back-burner, given the approx. $1K needed to fabricate and purchase the countertop slab; figure it'll be done in time for my 41st birthday, barring any spikes in salary, a windfall in the currently-stalled side business venture or some other graceful coincidence); and
  • The 3-5 urgent projects that always pop up this time of year at either the (Marsh Ave) house or the 2 rentals.
So I am officially committed to said projects, and the hard-ass in me won't take no excuses from the slacker in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute
Da Hoov: 1993-2008

The day I got him, I was buying cat food for Pip, the (then) family cat, in the Burien (WA) days. In one of the pet store bins was a splitting image of the puppy version of the Thorndike-Barnhart Junior Dictionary entry illustration -- that I recalled from second grade -- for "Spaniel". I then remembered that I always wanted a Spaniel. He had no papers, but his markings were good enough to argue that he was far from the Heinz 57 variety (a point groomers over the years had galvanized). So I was curious as to the behind-the-scenes story. The shop owner said that little guy had been the pick of the litter to carry on the legacy for the previous owner, who initially chose to keep him along with the mother. But when the previous owner's new landlord allowed only one dog, s/he had to make a concession. The puppy drew the short straw. So with the benefit of a dog with no papers and good markings, and knowing what a pedigreed dog can fetch, I figured I wouldn't pay a cen

I left my inhibitions in San Francisco

[Left, i.e., disregarded, neglected] Seems, as with the incomparable Tony Bennett, my eternal fling with San Francisco remains strong. This time, it was ringing in the New Year with Cake at The Warfield Theater with my bro (the wife declined due to scheduling conflicts), BFAM and his wife. Again, one for the books. Now, many have either seen/heard first- or second-hand my past SF experiences dating back to 1988, each filled with some level of joy and/or wonder. It was looking pretty iffy at this concert experience in that it didn't echo that of Sia concert at Bimbo's in April '06 when Sia herself gave me (and only me) a big hug outside her tour bus after the show, or the Les Claypool concert at The Fillmore where my date scored backstage passes in December '00. First off this time, Cake lead singer John McCrea lives in Oakland, so he probably took the BART, given his dervish tendencies. Secondly, he was nowhere to be seen; just the bassist with whom BFAM and wife

Good Mourning

In February 2014, legendary New York sportswriter Marty Noble wrote about the passing of legendary New York Mets announcer and Baseball Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner: "The radio and television programming was characterized by those speaking as 'a celebration,' and it was. I understand the concept; celebrate rather than mourn. But how difficult it was to see his passing as anything other than miserably sad...He had a good, long life. But I wanted it to be longer by 30 years, or at least by two months, so I could see him one more time and absorb one more anecdote..." And in February 2019, we can say the same for Flora DeBonis Pikul: sister, mother, godmother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, great-aunt, great-great-aunt, cousin, friend and so on. Now Marty Noble was talking about a sports figure, a celebrity. And you could argue that Grandma was a celebrity. She had a star quality. She had her 15 minutes of fame: a grand-prize winner on the "Concentration"